Dr. Aloke Kumar
Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering,
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
Email: alokekumar AT iisc.ac.in
2000-2005 – B. Tech & M. Tech from Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
2005-2010 – PhD from Purdue University
- Assistant Professor at Indian Institute of Science, India Current
- Visiting Scholar at Columbia University, USA 02/2017-05/2017
- Assistant Professor at University of Alberta, Canada 2013-2017
- Staff Scientist at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, USA 2010-2013
Awards and Honors (Selected):
- Canada Research Chair (Tier II) in Microfluidics for Biological Systems, NSERC, Canada (2014-2017)
- Eugene P. Wigner Fellowship, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, USA (2010-Present)
- DeKármán Fellowship, Josephine DeKármán Fellowship Trust, California, USA (2009-2010)
- Bilsland Dissertation Fellowship, Purdue University, USA (2009-2010)
- Adelberg Fellowship, Purdue University, USA (2007-2008)
- Ross Fellowship, Purdue University, USA (2005-2006)
Research Group at IISc:
I, Dr. Rashmi Dikshit have completed my graduation from Lucknow University and Masters in Zoology from Awadh University. Subsequently, I joined Ph.D. from Lucknow University which was discontinued after a year due to personal commitments. However in order to quench my academic research oriented thirst, I re-engineered myself and joined M Phil in microbiology after a gap of 6 long years. I successfully completed M. Phil. followed by Ph.D. in Microbiology from Jain University, Bangalore. I also worked as Research fellow on a project sponsored by Department of Science and Technology of the Government of India (SERB) for one year. I have experimented myself in fields varying from zoology to agricultural microbiology and food microbiology etc. I feel I have an everlasting passion for research. To continue my pursuit towards valuable research, currently I am working as a DBT BioCare Scientist in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Indian institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore.
Debayan Dasgupta (Post-Doc)
I am Dr. Debayan Dasgupta, research associate at IISC, Bengaluru since June 2021. I have completed my PhD from NIT Silchar in March 2021. My PhD work involves modelling of atomization by disintegration of liquid sheet of inviscid, viscous and viscoelastic fluid. Currently I am working on the phenomenon of droplet coalescence in Newtonian and non-Newtonian fluid. I have also worked on augmentation of heat transfer by using rectangular variable height fin array during the course of my MTech (NERIST, Arunachal Pradesh). I have research interest in varied fields involving problems related to fluid mechanics and heat transfer.
Udita Ghosh (Post-Doc)
Currently I am a C.V. Raman postdoc in the Department of Mechanical Engineering investigating the various intriguing phenomenon involving non-Newtonian fluids. Prior to this, I have been a postdoctoral researcher (August 2018-19) with CNRS, France in the domain of miscible fluids and particle manipulation using acoustic vortices.
I am a chemical engineer with Bachelor’s from Laxminarayan Institute of Technology, Nagpur followed by Master’s and PhD from Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur (2013-2018). My PhD thesis focussed on morphology and dynamics of crack formation in colloidal thin films. When I am not pursuing scientific pursuits, I can be found immersed in books, playing a game of badminton, listening to music or even composing a poem for my blog. I have an itchy feet, so exploring new places, cultures and people are always on the cards.
Graduate Students at IISc (Current):
Gannena Raghuram (PhD)
I completed my bachelors and masters from Central University of Chhattisgarh and Amrita university respectively. I am going to work on microscale flows.
Divakar Badal (PhD)
I joined this lab in winter 2017 as a PhD student. I have completed integrated M.Tech in biomedical engineering from IIIT Allahabad in 2017. I am interested in exploring the interdisciplinary aspect of microfluidics and microbiology.
V. Sarath Chandra Varma (PhD)
I V. Sarath Chandra Varma received my bachelor’s degree from Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University Hyderabad and master’s from NIT Jamshedpur. My area of research is fluid flow at micro scales.
Navin Kumar Chandra (PhD)
I, Navin Kumar Chandra have completed my B. Tech. in Mechanical Engineering from NIT Raipur (2014 Batch). After my graduation I have worked for 3 years in HSCC India Limited as an Executive where I used to design air conditioning system for hospitals and then I worked for 10 months in the Pipelines division of Indian Oil Corporation as an Operations & Maintenance engineer. To pursue my interest in research field I joined IISc Bangalore in the month of July 2018.
Nitin Gupta (PhD)
Research interest: Mechanical characterization of soft materials; Manufacturing (formability) analysis of wood. Working Experience: Assistant Professor, DVR & HS MIC college of Technology, Kanchikacherla, A.P. (June-Oct 2018) Education:PhD pursuing: IISc Bangalore (Joined in Jan 2019); M Tech: Materials Science and Technology (Mechanical Engineering), National Institute of Technology Calicut (2016-2018); B Tech: Mechanical Engineering, Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Technical University (AKTU) (2012-2016).
Prabeen Pattnayak (PhD)
Research interest: I, Prabeen Kumar Pattnayak, have done my B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering from Centurion University of Technology and Management, Odisha and M.Tech in Mechanical Engineering from Defence Institute of Advanced Technology, Pune. I did my M.Tech dissertation work at Cryogenic Engineering Design Laboratory, Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology, Indore. I have joined Department of Mechanical Engineering, IISc Bangalore in August 2019 as a doctoral student.
Abhineet Singh Rajput (PhD)
I Abhineet Singh Rajput have received a Bachelor’s degree with majors in Mechanical Engineering and minors in Nuclear Power Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur (2014-2018). I have worked as an Engineering Officer in Indian Oil Corporation Limited, India for one year. I am a Young Engineer and Scientist Awardee (Honda Foundations) for the year 2016 and have worked as a research intern at the Institute of Environmental Studies & Department of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Tokyo. I have joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering, IISc Bangalore in August 2019 as a Prime Minister’s Research Fellow to pursue my doctoral studies. Anything that triggers my curiosity is my research interest and currently, I am working on Liquid Crystals and Active Nematic Systems. Along with research, I have an interest in Taekwondo, playing musical instruments, cooking and cricket.
Shivangi Mishra (PhD)
I joined IISc Bangalore as a PhD student in Jan 2020. I am working on an interdisciplinary project that aims to decipher the effect of “microgravity” on bacterial physiology and behaviour. Educational backgroung: M.Tech in Biotechnology, BITS Pilani, Pilani campus, 2019; B.Tech in Biotechnology, Amity University, 2017. Previous employment: Worked as Junior research fellow for 6 months (Jun2019-Dec2019) at Translational Health Science and Technology Institue ( THSTI), Faridabad. Summer intern at Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences (2017).
I, Dhanashri Desai, received my Bachelor’s degree from Govt. College of Engineering, Pune (2013-2017). I worked as Summer Intern in Central Quality Dept., Electric and Automation Unit, L&T, Ahmednagar, Maharashtra (2016). After graduation, I worked for one year in Ashok Leyland as Graduate Engineer Trainee in Product Quality Dept. (2017-2018). I received Outstanding Project award for Advanced Problem-Solving project during GET training program (2018). I took a break for preparation after working. I joined Dr. Kumar’s lab in October 2020 as MTech Research student. My Research interests are Mechanical Behavior of Materials, Solid Mechanics and Finite Element Analysis. I am working on development of Ceramic Cellular Structures using Rapid Prototyping technique. Along with studies I enjoy Rowing (especially Sculling), Trekking, playing roadside Badminton and Cooking.
I am Chaitra Arakesha, Master of Science (Gold Medal) in Computer Science (2014) from Bangalore University. I joined Kumar’s lab in August 2018 as Project Assistant. I have prior experience at IISc for 4yrs from October 2014 as Data modeller and Data Analyst.
Research Assistants (Current):
I am Nayanashree and I joined Kumar’s lab on march 12 2021 as Project assistant. I have completed my post graduation MSc in Microbiology from M.S Ramaiah college for arts, science and commerce and have worked at Azyme Bioscience Pvt.Ltd on a project “OPTIMIZATION FOR THE PRODUCTION OF PEPTIDE ANTIBIOTICS FROM SOIL MICROBES”.
I, Mandar Tikale, have completed my bachelor’s in Mechanical Engineering from MIT College of Engineering Pune in 2020. I worked as a Project Trainee at Alfa Laval during my last year of undergraduate.
I have joined the lab in May 2021 as a Project Assistant. I am interested in exploring the fields of fluid mechanics, microfluidics, simulations, CFD, FEA. Apart from my academics, I’m inclined towards meditation, reading books, philosophy, exploring new technology.
UG/PG Project/Thesis students (Current):
- Dibyendu Mandal (MTech(R); Defended successfully at Indian Institute of Science in May 2021; Thesis title – Brownian motion in complex fluids
- Nandini Debnath (PhD; Defended successfully at University of Alberta in Spring 2020; Thesis title – Colloidal fouling in a microfluidic membrane mimic device
- Rajorshi Paul (MSc; Defended successfully at University of Alberta in Spring 2018; Thesis title – Rivalry in Sibling Bacillus subtilis colonies: Enemy or Family?; Will be joining Stanford Univ. for PhD)
- Behnam Gheshlaghi (MSc; Defended successfully at University of Alberta in Spring 2016; Thesis title – Rotation Effects on Dyanmics of Fluid Flow through Microchannels)
- Mahtab Hassanpourfard (PhD; Defended successfully at University of Alberta in Spring 2017; Dissertation title – Bacterial Streamer formation in Porous Media)
- Swayamdipta Bhaduri (PhD; Defended successfully at University of Alberta in December 2017; Dissertation title – Microbillay Induced Calcite Precipitation mediated by Sporosarcina pasteurii)
- Ishita Biswas (PhD; Defended successfully at University of Alberta in April 2018; Dissertation title – Dynamics of bacterial streamers and its impact on biofouling of microfluidic filtration system
- Ms. Vainavi Alva (UG Project work)
- Mr. Animesh Jain (JRF; Will be joining Cambridge Univ. for PhD)
- Mr. Arjav Vashi (Will be joining UCSD for MS)
- Mr. Shanthan K. Padisala (Will be joining Ohio State Univ. for MS)
Long Term Interns
- Ms. Vainavi Alva (UG Project work)
- Ms. Aahana Prakash (UG Project work)
- Ms. Pooja M Raju (UG Project work)
- Ms. Harshita Jain (MTech Project work)
- Mr. Sreeram Rajesh (UG Project work)
- Zahra Nikakhtari (Undergraduate researcher from U. of Alberta; Currently pursuing Doctor of Medicine (MD) program at University of Alberta)
- Sophie Shi (Undergraduate researcher from U. of Alberta)
- Diwakar Swaroop from IIT (Winter Intern 2018)
- Deepthi Vinod from VIT (Summer Intern 2018)
- Sreekar from IIT Kharagpur (Summer Intern 2018)
- Ronit Banerjea from IIT Kharagpur (Summer Intern 2018)
- Sabyasachi Sen from IIT Kharagpur (Summer Intern 2018)
- Bhaibhab Pattnaik from IIT Kharagpur (Winter Intern 2017)
- Srishti Samadder from IIT Kharagpur (Winter Intern 2018)
- Pranav C.M. from RMIT (Spring 2018)
- Kaustubh Desai from RMIT (Spring 2018)
- Linton D’Souza from RMIT (Spring 2018)
- Joshua Sebastian from RMIT (Spring 2018)
- Sourav Kundu from IIT Kharagpur (Winter Intern 2017)
- Debonil Maity from IIT Kharagpur (Summer Intern 2013)
- Nikhil Gupta from IIT Bombay (Summer Intern 2013)
Open Positions: [NO POSITIONS CURRENTLY]
July 2018: Open Project Assistant Position: Applicants with a good knowledge of Mechanical Engineering and good communication skills may apply. Interested applications should send a 2-page CV in PDF to the PI before 13th July, 2018.
November 2017: Open Postdoctoral Research Associate Position @ Indian Institute of Science. Apply through [link disabled]
March 2017: Open Junior Research Fellow Position: Applicants with a good knowledge of Mechanical Engineering and good communication skills may apply. Applicants should send in their complete CV, along with names of at least two referees to the PI.