Dr. Aloke Kumar
Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering,
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
Email: alokekumar AT iisc.ac.in
2000-2005 – B. Tech & M. Tech from Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
2005-2010 – PhD from Purdue University
- Assistant Professor at Indian Institute of Science, India Current
- Visiting Scholar at Columbia University, USA 02/2017-08/2017
- Assistant Professor at University of Alberta, Canada 2013-2017
- Staff Scientist at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, USA 2010-2013
Awards and Honors (Selected):
- Canada Research Chair (Tier II) in Microfluidics for Biological Systems, NSERC, Canada (2014-2017)
- Eugene P. Wigner Fellowship, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, USA (2010-Present)
- DeKármán Fellowship, Josephine DeKármán Fellowship Trust, California, USA (2009-2010)
- Bilsland Dissertation Fellowship, Purdue University, USA (2009-2010)
- Adelberg Fellowship, Purdue University, USA (2007-2008)
- Ross Fellowship, Purdue University, USA (2005-2006)
Research Group at IISc:
Rashmi Dixit (Post-Doc)
I, Dr. Rashmi Dikshit have completed my graduation from Lucknow University and Masters in Zoology from Awadh University. Subsequently, I joined Ph.D. from Lucknow University which was discontinued after a year due to personal commitments. However in order to quench my academic research oriented thirst, I re-engineered myself and joined M Phil in microbiology after a gap of 6 long years. I successfully completed M. Phil. followed by Ph.D. in Microbiology from Jain University, Bangalore. I also worked as Research fellow on a project sponsored by Department of Science and Technology of the Government of India (SERB) for one year. I have experimented myself in fields varying from zoology to agricultural microbiology and food microbiology etc. I feel I have an everlasting passion for research. To continue my pursuit towards valuable research, currently I am working as a Research Associate in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Indian institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore.
Graduate Students at IISc (Current):
Dibyendu Mandal (MSc)
I am Dibyendu Mandal. I received my Bachelor’s degree from Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering.I joined the lab in the fall of 2017. I am currently working on microscale flows.
Gannena Raghuram (PhD)
I completed my bachelors and masters from Central University of Chhattisgarh and Amrita university respectively. I am going to work on microscale flows.
Divakar Badal (PhD)
I joined this lab in winter 2017 as a PhD student. I have completed integrated M.Tech in biomedical engineering from IIIT Allahabad in 2017. I am interested in exploring the interdisciplinary aspect of microfluidics and microbiology.
V. Sarath Chandra Varma (PhD)
I V. Sarath Chandra Varma received my bachelor’s degree from Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University Hyderabad and master’s from NIT Jamshedpur. My area of research is fluid flow at micro scales.
Navin Kumar Chandra (PhD)
I, Navin Kumar Chandra have completed my B. Tech. in Mechanical Engineering from NIT Raipur (2014 Batch). After my graduation I have worked for 3 years in HSCC India Limited as an Executive where I used to design air conditioning system for hospitals and then I worked for 10 months in the Pipelines division of Indian Oil Corporation as an Operations & Maintenance engineer. To pursue my interest in research field I joined IISc Bangalore in the month of July 2018.
Nitin Gupta (PhD)
Research interest: Mechanical characterization of soft materials; Manufacturing (formability) analysis of wood. Working Experience: Assistant Professor, DVR & HS MIC college of Technology, Kanchikacherla, A.P. (June-Oct 2018) Education:PhD pursuing: IISc Bangalore (Joined in Jan 2019); M Tech: Materials Science and Technology (Mechanical Engineering), National Institute of Technology Calicut (2016-2018); B Tech: Mechanical Engineering, Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Technical University (AKTU) (2012-2016).
I am Chaitra Arakesha, Master of Science (Gold Medal) in Computer Science (2014) from Bangalore University. I joined Kumar’s lab in August 2018 as Project Assistant. I have prior experience at IISc for 4yrs from October 2014 as Data modeller and Data Analyst.
Research Assistants (Current):
I am Arjav Vashi. I completed my B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering from NIT, Surat in 2018. I joined the lab in June 2018 as Research Assistant. I am working on “Behaviour of Soft Material at High Strain Rate” at Prof Aloke’s lab.
I am Animesh Jain, M.Tech (Gold Medalist, Integrated Dual Degree) in Mechanical Engineering (Specialization: Thermal and Fluids Engineering) from Indian Institute of Technology (B.H.U., Varanasi, India). I have short term industrial experience of working with Technical Design team at Volvo Eicher Commercial Vehicles (A Trucks and Buses manufacturing company), Torque Control Product Division, Vehicles Team at Eaton Technologies Pvt Ltd (A global power management company) and Supplier Quality Assurance Team at Hero Motocorp Ltd (world’s largest two wheeler manufacturing company).My passion towards continuous learning and innovative research made me join Dr. Aloke’s Lab in July 2018. I am currently working on Self-healing materials.
UG/PG Project/Thesis students (Current):
My name is Sabyasachi Sen. I am currently a third year undergraduate student in the Mechanical Engineering department at IIT Kharagpur. I have been working with Prof. Aloke Kumar’s group since May 2018 where I have been studying wave propagation in polymeric fluids in an ongoing effort to universalize their viscoelastic behavior. I am also developing numerical codes to improve our understanding of how insects walk on water.
Research Group at University of Alberta:
Tanushree awarded her Bachelor’s degree in Zoology (Honors) from University of Calcutta, India and Master’s degree in Biotechnology from Jadavpur University, India. She awarded her Ph.D. degree in Biotechnology from University of Calcutta, India. She was working as Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering, University of Alberta, Canada from 2016-2017. She is currently working as Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Alberta, Canada. Her research interest includes microbial degradation of biomass, analytical detection of biodegraded material, microbially induced mineral precipitation, enzyme purification, enzyme-based biosensor, electrochemical sensor development.
PhD Students (Current):
My name is Nandini and I have received a bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering from National Institute of Technology, Durgapur, India, 2013. I have worked as a sales officer in Hindusthan Petroleum Corporation Limited, India for one year. I prefer to be an independent researcher which drove me pursuing an academic career. Currently, I am a PhD student in Mechanical Engineering, University of Alberta. Along with the curiosity about research, I have interest in singing, playing musical instruments, painting and gardening.
MSc Students (Current):
I joined the Kumar Research Group as a Masters student in Winter 2017. I am currently trying to develop a mathematical model to govern bacterial dynamics and bacteria induced biodegradation reactions. The goal is to apply this knowledge to enhance the purification process of lignin which can be used as a cheap raw material for manufacturing carbon fiber. I received my B. Tech. (Gold medallist) degree in Mechanical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur in 2016.
- Behnam Gheshlaghi (MSc; Defended successfully at University of Alberta in Spring 2016; Thesis title – Rotation Effects on Dyanmics of Fluid Flow through Microchannels)
- Mahtab Hassanpourfard (PhD; Defended successfully at University of Alberta in Spring 2017; Dissertation title – Bacterial Streamer formation in Porous Media)
- Swayamdipta Bhaduri (PhD; Defended successfully at University of Alberta in December 2017; Dissertation title – Microbillay Induced Calcite Precipitation mediated by Sporosarcina pasteurii)
- Ishita Biswas (PhD; Defended successfully at University of Alberta in April 2018; Dissertation title – Dynamics of bacterial streamers and its impact on biofouling of microfluidic filtration system
- Zahra Nikakhtari (Undergraduate researcher from U. of Alberta; Currently pursuing Doctor of Medicine (MD) program at University of Alberta)
- Sophie Shi (Undergraduate researcher from U. of Alberta)
- Diwakar Swaroop from IIT (Winter Intern 2018)
- Deepthi Vinod from VIT (Summer Intern 2018)
- Sreekar from IIT Kharagpur (Summer Intern 2018)
- Ronit Banerjea from IIT Kharagpur (Summer Intern 2018)
- Sabyasachi Sen from IIT Kharagpur (Summer Intern 2018)
- Bhaibhab Pattnaik from IIT Kharagpur (Winter Intern 2017)
- Srishti Samadder from IIT Kharagpur (Winter Intern 2018)
- Pranav C.M. from RMIT (Spring 2018)
- Kaustubh Desai from RMIT (Spring 2018)
- Linton D’Souza from RMIT (Spring 2018)
- Joshua Sebastian from RMIT (Spring 2018)
- Sourav Kundu from IIT Kharagpur (Winter Intern 2017)
- Debonil Maity from IIT Kharagpur (Summer Intern 2013)
- Nikhil Gupta from IIT Bombay (Summer Intern 2013)
Open Positions: [NO POSITIONS CURRENTLY]
July 2018: Open Project Assistant Position: Applicants with a good knowledge of Mechanical Engineering and good communication skills may apply. Interested applications should send a 2-page CV in PDF to the PI before 13th July, 2018.
November 2017: Open Postdoctoral Research Associate Position @ Indian Institute of Science. Apply through [link disabled]
March 2017: Open Junior Research Fellow Position: Applicants with a good knowledge of Mechanical Engineering and good communication skills may apply. Applicants should send in their complete CV, along with names of at least two referees to the PI.