Dr. Aloke Kumar
Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering,
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
Email: alokekumar AT iisc.ac.in
2000-2005 – B. Tech & M. Tech from Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
2005-2010 – PhD from Purdue University
- Assistant Professor at Indian Institute of Science, India Current
- Visiting Scholar at Columbia University, USA 02/2017-08/2017
- Assistant Professor at University of Alberta, Canada 2013-2017
- Staff Scientist at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, USA 2010-2013
Awards and Honors (Selected):
- Canada Research Chair (Tier II) in Microfluidics for Biological Systems, NSERC, Canada (2014-2017)
- Eugene P. Wigner Fellowship, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, USA (2010-Present)
- DeKármán Fellowship, Josephine DeKármán Fellowship Trust, California, USA (2009-2010)
- Bilsland Dissertation Fellowship, Purdue University, USA (2009-2010)
- Adelberg Fellowship, Purdue University, USA (2007-2008)
- Ross Fellowship, Purdue University, USA (2005-2006)
Research Group at IISc:
Rashmi Dixit (Post-Doc)
I, Dr. Rashmi Dikshit have completed my graduation from Lucknow University and Masters in Zoology from Awadh University. Subsequently, I joined Ph.D. from Lucknow University which was discontinued after a year due to personal commitments. However in order to quench my academic research oriented thirst, I re-engineered myself and joined M Phil in microbiology after a gap of 6 long years. I successfully completed M. Phil. followed by Ph.D. in Microbiology from Jain University, Bangalore. I also worked as Research fellow on a project sponsored by Department of Science and Technology of the Government of India (SERB) for one year. I have experimented myself in fields varying from zoology to agricultural microbiology and food microbiology etc. I feel I have an everlasting passion for research. To continue my pursuit towards valuable research, currently I am working as a Research Associate in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Indian institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore.
Graduate Students at IISc (Current):
Dibyendu Mandal (MSc)
I am Dibyendu Mandal. I received my Bachelor’s degree from Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering.I joined the lab in the fall of 2017. I am currently working on microscale flows.
Gannena Raghuram (PhD)
I completed my bachelors and masters from Central University of Chhattisgarh and Amrita university respectively. I am going to work on microscale flows.
Divakar Badal (PhD)
I joined this lab in winter 2017 as a PhD student. I have completed integrated M.Tech in biomedical engineering from IIIT Allahabad in 2017. I am interested in exploring the interdisciplinary aspect of microfluidics and microbiology.
Research Group at University of Alberta:
Tanushree awarded her Bachelor’s degree in Zoology (Honors) from University of Calcutta, India and Master’s degree in Biotechnology from Jadavpur University, India. She awarded her Ph.D. degree in Biotechnology from University of Calcutta, India. She was working as Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering, University of Alberta, Canada from 2016-2017. She is currently working as Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Alberta, Canada. Her research interest includes microbial degradation of biomass, analytical detection of biodegraded material, microbially induced mineral precipitation, enzyme purification, enzyme-based biosensor, electrochemical sensor development.
PhD Students (Current):
My name is Nandini and I have received a bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering from National Institute of Technology, Durgapur, India, 2013. I have worked as a sales officer in Hindusthan Petroleum Corporation Limited, India for one year. I prefer to be an independent researcher which drove me pursuing an academic career. Currently, I am a PhD student in Mechanical Engineering, University of Alberta. Along with the curiosity about research, I have interest in singing, playing musical instruments, painting and gardening.
I have completed my BSc in Mechanical Engineering from Chittagong University of Engineering and Technology, Bangladesh, in 2008 and MSc in Engineering (concentration: Mechanical Engineering) from Purdue University Calumet, IN, USA, in 2011. After my MSc, I worked as a research intern at the University of Delaware Center for Composite Materials, DE, USA. Currently I am a PhD candidate at the University of Alberta, AB, Canada in Mechanical Engineering since August 2013. I am working on post formation dynamics of the bacterial streamer in low Reynolds number (Re) flow and its impact on biofouling in waste water treatment.
MSc Students (Current):
I joined the Kumar Research Group as a Masters student in Winter 2017. I am currently trying to develop a mathematical model to govern bacterial dynamics and bacteria induced biodegradation reactions. The goal is to apply this knowledge to enhance the purification process of lignin which can be used as a cheap raw material for manufacturing carbon fiber. I received my B. Tech. (Gold medallist) degree in Mechanical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur in 2016.
- Behnam Gheshlaghi (MSc; Defended successfully at University of Alberta in Spring 2016; Thesis title – Rotation Effects on Dyanmics of Fluid Flow through Microchannels)
- Mahtab Hassanpourfard (PhD; Defended successfully at University of Alberta in Spring 2017; Dissertation title – Bacterial Streamer formation in Porous Media)
- Swayamdipta Bhaduri (PhD; Defended successfully at University of Alberta in December 2017; Dissertation title – Microbillay Induced Calcite Precipitation mediated by Sporosarcina pasteurii)
- Zahra Nikakhtari (Undergraduate researcher from U. of Alberta; Currently pursuing Doctor of Medicine (MD) program at University of Alberta)
- Sophie Shi (Undergraduate researcher from U. of Alberta)
- Debonil Maity from IIT Kharagpur (Summer Intern 2013)
- Nikhil Gupta from IIT Bombay (Summer Intern 2013)